Re: [Exim] SIGCHLD complaints and pam_exim failing inexplica…

Author: Greg Owen
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SIGCHLD complaints and pam_exim failing inexplicably
On 3 Jun 2003, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 16:18, Greg Owen wrote:
> > I'm currently seeing the same problem using the pam_exim helper
> > program from http://www.e-admin.de/pam_exim/. That fix uses a setuid
> > PAM helper executable, which presumably is the subprocess involved.
>
> Thats believable.
> What kernel are you using?
> Stock, self compiled, or distribution kernel?
> If its a RH kernel can you give me the full version number including
> arch.

Stock RedHat 9 kernel
kernel-2.4.20-8
Linux mail.example.com 2.4.20-8smp #1 SMP Thu Mar 13 17:45:54 EST 2003
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

As you can see, it is an SMP kernel; it's on a dual P3, if that matters.

> I suspect RH have a kernel bug in the case I saw - the subprocess looks
> as though it was actually the module loader trying to load ipv6 support
> - however in your case it looks as though the kernel is less involved
> (in my case if the diagnosis is right the subprocess was actually kicked
> off by the kernel).

With what little I know, I'd guess exim handles subprocesses where it
knows about them, but that the pam_exim introduces a subprocess (the
exim_pwdcheck subprocess) that exim didn't expect because PAM is usually
not a subprocess but a shared library call.

But I know little, which is why I'm posting ;>

--
    gowen -- Greg Owen -- gowen@???
    79A7 4063 96B6 9974 86CA  3BEF 521C 860F 5A93 D66D