Re: [Exim] Possibility of rewriting the subject...

Author: Michael Jakscht
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Possibility of rewriting the subject...

"Greg A. Woods" <woods@???> wrote:

> Please do not rewrite the subject headers. The subject header is

in the
> domain of the user (and the MUA), not the MTA, and strictly the

subject
> header (along with the comments, summary, and keywords headers)

are
> informational fields that may relate directly to the body of the

message
> and thus are conceptually a part of the body of the message, i.e.

they
> are part of the content of the message.

It's OK if you believe in this statement.
Me too. ;-)
But another company changed from Novell Groupwise Mail-Server to
Tobit David and now some pupils there want to transfer their old
mails from Groupwise to David.
Of course, the David MUA or whatever this stuff is called (never
used nor saw any of such stuff... ;-) ) correctly inserts the "FW:
<$original_subject>" to the original subject.
But those pupils don't like these inserted statements like "FW: " or
so...
So the deal went on to me (coz' exim is in the middle of their two
MTA's) and they asked me explicitly to REWRITE their subject.
So at this point - if those users are not able to edit their subject
fields... (god knows why...) I can understand it and think I could
even try to help them get along better.... ;-)

> The MTA must not spindle, staple, punch, fold, or otherwise

mutilate the content of any message.

see above.... ;-)

> Even the subject header rewriting done by some unthinking mailing

list
> managers is wrong, very annoying, and totally unnecessary.

Okay, this might be true, but my personal view is that this
rewriting is god or even better than good, just because of the
simple reason that if you're subscribed to more than one mailinglist
and MUST use a really *shitty* MUA like Notes (if can call this
bullsh** a MUA) which can only sort messages based on subject
content, the rewriting of these mailinglist-subject to me seems more
than useful.
Maybe you feel this is okay in this circumstance ;-)

Hmmm... hopefully someone can just give me some tips or hints how I
can rewrite my subject now as pointed out in my first mail... ;-)

Michael