Re: [Exim] demime and Outlook Express.

Author: Tom Kistner
To: Mike Anderson, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] demime and Outlook Express.
Mike Anderson wrote:

> This way each section is small and you just have a lot of them.
> It seems that it doesn't end each section like a uuencoded
> message would have the "begin" and "end" tag so exiscan
> complains about broken MIME containers when this happens.
> Is there any work-around for this?

Yes, edit src/demime.h and edit this line:

#define MIME_ERRORLEVEL_MESSAGE_PARTIAL 3,US"'message/partial' MIME type"

to read

#define MIME_ERRORLEVEL_MESSAGE_PARTIAL 1,US"'message/partial' MIME type"

This will decrease the "severity" of message/partial attachments to 1.

The problem with this message-splitting scheme (which is not a Microsoft
invention, it's all in the RFC), is that it makes content control nearly
impossible, since you'd have to "hold" all parts on the mail server,
until the last parts arrive and then apply content scanning. Since
popular Microsoft software will transparently assemble these splitted
messages, it would be fairly easy to code a worm that can evade content
filters. This is why I assigned severity level 3 to this attachment
type, even if it is a fully RFC compliant method of splitting messages.

regards,

/tom