[Exim] Re: Re: smtp_accept_max_rcpt_failures?!

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Patrick Starrenburg
To: exim-users
Betreff: [Exim] Re: Re: smtp_accept_max_rcpt_failures?!
On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 08:43:45 GMT Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:

> I see your point. How "probable" is this scenario? Will I cause
> additional traffic and load to my server, or will I spare it this
> additional load?
>
> RFC-2821 says for 550 "The SMTP client is discouraged from repeating
> the exact request (in the same sequence)." Doesn't that prevent the
> client from repeating the whole transaction (provided that it follows
> RFC-2821, which isn't very probably for spammers, I guess)?

If you think about the "target audience" for this i.e. mostly ratbag
spammers, then once you slap them around I don't think they are going to be
back (that day). Like the car thief they will look for an easier target.

If it is a legit caller then I think the 550 reject is best - you give them
a proper reject, they will see it and hopefully check why they attempted to
send you three dud addresses in a row.

As for the spammers - to quote from someone on the list - "let 'em rot".

It shouldn't put too much strain on your server - if it got to that then I
think you would have other bigger problems :-)

PS