Re: [Exim] open relay question

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Georg Köstler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] open relay question
On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 08:52, Georg Köstler wrote:
> on verification of our mail-server with mail-abuse.org
> i got test #8 failed as exim did not reject:
>
> mail from: <spamtest@???>
> 250 <spamtest@???> is syntactically correct
> rcpt: to <nobody%mail-abuse.org@???>
> 250 <nobody%mail-abuse.org@???> is syntactically correct
>
> Could somone pls enligthen me what's wrong with that.
> I do have a catchall set up for ourdomain.de. All previous
> 8 or so tests where '... prohibited by administrator'.
> Which part of my exim.conf is appropriate and i should
> post here.

Its only a real failure if your exim then relays the mail out to
nobody@???

You don't mention what version of exim you are using (black mark!).
However for exim 4.x in the default configuration, within the ACL run
for RCPT TO: you will see a segment like this:-
        acl_check_rcpt:

        # lines skipped here....

          # Deny if the local part contains @ or % or / or | or !. These are rarely
          # found in genuine local parts, but are often tried by people looking to
          # circumvent relaying restrictions.

          # Also deny if the local part starts with a dot. Empty components aren't
          # strictly legal in RFC 2822, but Exim allows them because this is common.
          # However, actually starting with a dot may cause trouble if the local part
          # is used as a file name (e.g. for a mailing list).

          deny    local_parts   = ^.*[@%!/|] : ^\\.

For obsolete versions of exim have a look at the percent_hack_domains
options, the verify recipient options and your directors.

    Nigel.