Re: [Exim] bsmtp and suffixes options

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Philip Hazel
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Paul Warren
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] bsmtp and suffixes options
On 27 May 2003, Paul Warren wrote:

> I want a director to pass messages to a transport such that $local_part
> contains a string corresponding to a local username and
> $local_part_suffix corresponds to anything that was appended to the
> username.

That should happen automatically if you use the suffix feature.

> I want the transport to pass the message to a pipe that will then pass
> it back to Exim using bsmtp *with the original envelope recipient in
> tact*.

Then you must pass both parts of the original recipient to the pipe, and
have it re-create the joined name.

> It seems that this is hard to do, because using the localuser director
> with the suffix optional implicitly strips the suffix from the
> "local_part".

If you set the suffix option, it does just that - which is what you said
you wanted to happen in your first paragraph above. (i.e. I don't think
I understand your problem properly).

> > > spam_check_transport:
> > >    driver = pipe
> > >    bsmtp = one
> > >    pipe = /some/command -u ${local_part}

You will need to pass $local_part_suffix to the pipe, as well as the
local part. And then ensure that /some/command reconstructs the correct
recipient address when it re-submits the message.

Ah. I think I see the difficulty. In the BMSTP that is passed, you will
just get the stripped local part. Your command will have to fix that up
before re-submitting.

> Is there any way round this? Would the situation be better with Exim 4?

I cannot remember Exim 3 details any more, but I don't think this has
changed significantly .... checks code ....

It would be exactly the same with Exim 4. In fact, there is a record of
a bug fix for 4.14 to ensure that the affixes get stripped when using
the smtp and lmtp transports, to bring them into line with the other
transports.

I have made a note to say what happens more clearly in the manual (it
does say it, but in a rather throwaway sentence).

It would not be a huge modification to provide an option (for Exim 4) to
restore the affixes, because this is all handled by a central function
now. I have put it on the Wish List.