Re: [Exim] New Exim User

Author: John (TJ) Penton
To: Simon Faulkner
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] New Exim User
On Sun, 25 May 2003, Simon Faulkner wrote:

> I am replacing my main email server and would like to use Exim rather than
> Postfix which I have been using previously.
>
> I am going to settle down with the 4.2 specification .pdf later but I wonder
> if anyone could give a quick overview of a couple of points for me to help
> me get started?

Do take the time to have a good read of the spec to understand Exim's
methodology - it will help.

> I use an aliases file to control local email addresses and assume that there
> will be a very similar file for Exim?

Yup. The example config that exim comes with has a router (you'll learn
about these) which provides traditional aliasing (redirecting mail based
on a lookup in a plain text file).

> I use a virtual file (db) which has the format
>
> simon@??? simon
> sales@??? someonesales, simon, someone@???
> @domain.org domaincatchall
>
> I also hope that there is a similar file for Exim?

Not in the example configuration. However, Exim is extremely flexible, so
making this db file work is just a question of configuring it
appropriately. Exim will happily look values up an a db file and do
pretty much anything with the results (including redirecting mail).

Be reassured, Exim can do it.

John

--
"Bon-hommy," went on Eeyore gloomily. "French word meaning bonhommy,"
he explained. "I'm not complaining, but There It Is."