Re: [Exim] Problem receiving from MS Exchange 2000 w/TLS

Author: Eric Parusel
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problem receiving from MS Exchange 2000 w/TLS
On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2003, Eric Parusel wrote:
>
> > It seems that Exchange should be re-sending the EHLO
> > command after TLS is initialized, am I right?
>
> Correct. The RFC specifies that all memory of what went before should be
> forgotten when TLS is initialized.

*sigh*, thanks Microsoft! :)

----
> (142) 26-Feb-03 S Option to stay in ESMTP mode after STARTTLS
>
> A broken client fails to send a new EHLO after starting a TLS session;

this
> leaves Exim in SMTP mode rather than ESMTP mode, because it has reset

itself,
> as the RFC specifies. The client then sends a MAIL command with a SIZE

option,
> which Exim rejects because that is valid only in ESMTP mode. I am not keen

on
> adding yet another option to support broken clients. There doesn't seem

much
> support for this, and it seems that a later release fixes the problem

anyway.

----

> The implication is that upgrading Exchange might solve the problem.

Hmm, I didn't know there was a wish list :) Good to know...

Exchange is currently running SP3 with a post-SP3 rollup patch of some sort.
I under the impression that I had already updated as new as it could get...

Any idea what this later release might be?
Possibly the person who made the initial wish-list request might know?

Thanks very much,
Eric