[Exim] exim 4 as backup MX

Author: Kelv
To: exim-users
New-Topics: [Exim] exim 4 as backup MX (pt2)
Subject: [Exim] exim 4 as backup MX
Hi,

I recently migrated my mail servers from Sendmail to Exim 4. There was a
power cut today resulting in downtime on my primary MX. The secondary was
configured as per below, but it did not work. Here is what I did...

/etc/mail/relay-domains contains a list of domains, one per line.

domain1.com
domain2.com
domain3.com
etc

In the Exim configure file I have the relay_to_domains set like so..

domainlist relay_to_domains = lsearch:/etc/mail/relay-domains

While the primary was down, mail was hitting the secondary but the mainlog
indicated things such as...

2003-05-13 04:13:27 19FVqh-0003Nd-Hv <= someperson@???
H=my.secondary.relay [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] P=esmtp S=4125
id=LPBBIBDOMKCBHHKFAFGDIEHGCIAA.someperson@???
2003-05-13 04:13:27 19FVne-0003NZ-HG => address@??? R=dnslookup
T=remote_smtp H=my.secondary.relay [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

It looks like the secondary doesn't think it is the secondary.

What should the config for secondary MX have been? I can't find an example
on exim.org in the 4.x docs or in the mailing list archive.

Kelv