Re: [Exim] callout,random

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] callout,random
On Tue, 13 May 2003, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

> it would be useful to be able to tell if a server accepts a random
> callout, that is to tell if a callout is reliable or not.

I do not believe that you can. The existing "random" test is not
reliable. It gives you a good idea that the server accepts all
addresses without checking, but it is not 100%.

> 1) some servers might generally accept any callout except for certain
> abused users.

And some might generally accept any callout except the one that Exim
happens to choose for a "random" test...

So you are never entirely sure either way. I do not think it is sensible
to try to build much more into callouts.