Re: [Exim] OT: Sizing a virus checking engine

Author: Dennis Davis
To: John Brooks
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: Sizing a virus checking engine
>From: Tom Kistner <tom@???>
>To: John Brooks <j.brooks@???>
>CC: exim-users@???
>Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: Sizing a virus checking engine
>Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 11:12:39 +0200
>
>John Brooks wrote:
>
>> and (sophos) virus
>
>I suppose you are using the Sophie daemon? If not, you really should :)

Yup, saves a *lot* of time. You *really* don't need to use Sophos
sweep. It's way to expensive for this task. I'm running sophie on
OpenBSD boxes in Linux-compatability mode. It works fine.

>SpamAssassin typically takes a lot more resources than the virus
>scanning. Two tips here:
>
>  - use RBLs, and maybe the wirehub list too. Nico Erfurth has posted a
>    sample config for those recently. This reliably stop ~50-70% of
>    spams at a very low resource cost. SpamAssassin can handle the rest
>    that gets through the RBL fence.

I'll endorse these remarks. This is what I'm doing. RBLs + the
wirehub lists will stop a lot of spam at very little.cost.

>  - limit the spamd facility to messages smaller than ~100kB (YMMV). That
>    will save a lot of CPU time. Spams are never really large.

I'm running spamd only on messages smaller than 64KB. I believe
this value is used by the amavisd-new project.