Re: [Exim] OT: Sizing a virus checking engine

Author: Stefan Kaltenbrunner
To: John Brooks
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: Sizing a virus checking engine
John Brooks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of adding exiscan, spam assassin and (sophos) virus
> checking to our mail system - its all working fine except that I havn't
> go a big enough engine to handle the virus checking.
>
> We handle approx 250,000 emails a day and I've tested (and slaughtered) the
> virus checking on a Sun ultra 10, 1 Gb memory and 1 300Mhz cpu.
>
> I'm thinking along the lines of a sun fire 280R 2 X 1Ghz cpus plus 4GB memory:

Well virus-checking is pretty CPU-intensive(but not as cpu-intensive as
SpamAssassin!), and according to our internal tests all of our Sun's
(some Fire V120, som E450 and E220 and so on) have been dramatically
outperformed by our Intel Xeon 2,0Ghz Maschines with such tasks.
I do think that for such a task Intel-based system are far more better
suited than Sun - Systems due to there incredible CPU-frequencies(and no
- I don't think you need 4GB of RAM just for Virusscanning).

Stefan