Re: [Exim] -t and Resent- header lines

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
To: Avleen Vig
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] -t and Resent- header lines
[ On Thursday, May 8, 2003 at 21:28:54 (-0700), Avleen Vig wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] -t and Resent- header lines
>
> So, should the MTA be responsible for adding Resent- headers, or the
> MUA?

The MUA of course. Nothing else can, by definition. Remember we're
talking here explicitly and only about how the MTA's sendmail-compatible
command-line interface works when it is presented a message on its
standard input file descriptor and when it has been given the "-t"
option on the command line.

> The MTA might be the "right" place, I don't know where it currently
> happens from.

The MTA doesn't resend messages -- it just has to figure out where
resent messages are supposed to be delivered.

> Sounds like RMS wants the MTA to handle it, in which case I thought the
> result should be easy: ignore all previous Resent- headers, and add your
> own :-)

No, what we want is for the MTA to deliver to the addresses given in the
"resent-*" destination headers (when its sendmail-compatible
command-line interface is invoked with the "-t" option), and also of
course to do the right thing with fixing up (rewriting) the content of
any other "resent-*" headers that need fixing up (or adding), just as it
would do with the non-prefixed headers were no "resent-*" headers
present.

--
                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods@???>;           <woods@???>