RE: [Exim] Re Exim in the news (OT)

Author: Ryan Cartwright
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Re Exim in the news (OT)
Nigel Metheringham said:
>On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 07:23, Nico van der Dussen wrote:
>> Is there a way of making Exim handle shared calenders for diary
>> management etc?
>
>Exim doesn't do folders. Exim doesn't do pop. Exim doesn't do imap.
>
>The windows programs its being compared against are all in one mail
>systems - MTA, MDA, spool and access mechanism all in one program
>(suite) maybe with address book management and calendar management.
>Exim is an MTA with MDA capabilities.
>
>The place to do shared folders etc are in your IMAP implementation.
>Cyrus and Courier both have some degree of shared folder support (in
>Cyrus it appears quite comprehensive). However they are IMAP
>servers so
>they may not have quite the capabilities required for shared calendar
>storage - that would be best done in a ical server - don't know of any
>of those available. Address books, if shared, would be best in LDAP.

<OT>
The follow-up article showed the tools Notts Council used in their
solution and they included... Cyrus (IMAP/POP3), Horde (web mail), Open
LDAP, Exim and MySQL. So I found it a little odd that the front page
article gave the quote (incidentally from somebody not involved with the
Notts implementation) which implied that Notts had sacrificed everything
except SMTP by going open source.
</OT>

>Unix tends to lean towards components which are made into a solution
>rather than one big do-everything program. Excluding emacs, of course.

Better for it if you ask me.

Ryan