Re: [Exim] Re Exim in the news

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: nvddussen
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: RE: [Exim] Re Exim in the news (OT)
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re Exim in the news
On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 07:23, Nico van der Dussen wrote:
> In one of the articles the following is said:
>
>     Unlike feature-rich commercial e-mail servers such as Lotus
>     Domino and Microsoft Exchange, Pal said open source e-mail
>     is more basic, and usually lacks collaboration software such as
>     shared calendars.

> Is there a way of making Exim handle shared calenders for diary
> management etc?

Exim doesn't do folders. Exim doesn't do pop. Exim doesn't do imap.

The windows programs its being compared against are all in one mail
systems - MTA, MDA, spool and access mechanism all in one program
(suite) maybe with address book management and calendar management.
Exim is an MTA with MDA capabilities.

The place to do shared folders etc are in your IMAP implementation.
Cyrus and Courier both have some degree of shared folder support (in
Cyrus it appears quite comprehensive). However they are IMAP servers so
they may not have quite the capabilities required for shared calendar
storage - that would be best done in a ical server - don't know of any
of those available. Address books, if shared, would be best in LDAP.

Unix tends to lean towards components which are made into a solution
rather than one big do-everything program. Excluding emacs, of course.

    Nigel.