Re: [Exim] TARPIT ACL - for Spam Control

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
To: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: Dean Brooks, Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] TARPIT ACL - for Spam Control
[ On Tuesday, May 6, 2003 at 18:57:27 (+0100), Giuliano Gavazzi wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] TARPIT ACL - for Spam Control
>
> If machine resources (and partly network bandwidth) are unlimited,
> you will receive exactly the same amount of spam, as soon as the
> system reaches equilibrium again.

The quantity of resources needed to hold a connection open but quiescent
while waiting for a timeout before sending another line of a response is
really quite low.

> Of course machine resources are not unlimited, but spammers use a
> large amount of machines (not their own), and one could also reach
> his own resource limits before the spammers do.

Yes, but spammers will always have fewer machines doing their end of the
job than the number of machines they're targetting. It only takes a few
more on the receiving end to do good response rate limiting and we can
slow down the spammers enough that they can't help but notice.

--
                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods@???>;           <woods@???>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>