Re: [Exim] Switching Over from Qmail for 20 millions mailing…

Author: Nathan Ollerenshaw
To: Webmaster
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Switching Over from Qmail for 20 millions mailing load
On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 05:14 AM, Webmaster wrote:

> Greetings to All,
>
> We have been researching and studying comparison between Qmail and
> Exim,
> though there are not much concrete findings so far. I would appreciate
> if
> anyone could point it to me.
>
> Our current setup is using Qmail blasting out 10 millions mails daily
> and
> expected to grow to 20 millions daily in 6 months time. We are seeing
> very
> high bottleneck at the current capacity. I believe we are in urgent
> need to
> swith over to something more efficient and powerful before it really
> down
> our system. We are considering Exim among others.

I used to run a bunch of machines doing relay for a large ISP in the
UK, and exim performed admirably. Can't remember how many mails a day,
but we had over 1 million active accounts if I remember rightly.

> I would realy appreciate any advise from Exim expert here as we are
> totally
> new with Exim.

I've not seen any recent post by you to the Qmail users mailinglist? I
suspect that there is probably a lot you can do to improve your qmail
performance without having to do a costly migration to another MTA. If
you were to post to that list, giving some specifics, I'm sure that
someone there could point you in the right direction. (Or google the
list, you might find someone has already made suggestions before that
you havn't tried yet.)

Are you talking about local delivery, or just relay? Are you delivering
to unix style mailboxes or Maildir?

How is your hardware configured? Hardware has just as much a role to
play in mail throughput as the MTA. For example, I've seen the
throughput on sendmail quadruple just by putting it's inbound queue on
a solid state disk. (Thats a battery backed ram-disk, basically).

Regards,

Nathan.

--
Nathan Ollerenshaw - Systems Engineer - Shared Hosting
ValueCommerce Japan - http://www.valuecommerce.ne.jp

In the days, When we were swinging form the trees
I was a monkey, Stealing honey from a swarm of bees
I could taste, I could taste you even then
And I would chase you down the wind