Re: [Exim] Escaping single dots before SMTP delivery

Author: Simon Williams
To: Matthew Byng-Maddick
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Escaping single dots before SMTP delivery
* On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 04:58:02PM +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> Escaping the single dot should be done by the MUA, unless the -oi switch
> is set. This behaviour is true with sendmail's /usr/sbin/sendmail interface
> too.

Excellent, thank to you & the others that replied. I'll use that
work-around until I get chance to get a patch for Mutt together.

> If a line starts with a dot, you prepend another, what*EVER* comes after
> it. (something which the participants in the very recent thread appeared
> to be unaware of)

Odd. RFC2821 specifies that message data should end with
"<CRLF>.<CRLF>", so any line beginning with a dot and containing
another character other than the <CRLF> pair shouldn't be treated as
signifying the end of message data. I haven't come across any, but
are there any MTAs that do treat anything other than "<CRLF>.<CRLF>"
as the end of a message?

--
 Simon Williams <simon@???> **** GPG: F4A23C69
 "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."