Re: [Exim] virtual-host routing question

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Mark Edwards
CC: exim list
Subject: Re: [Exim] virtual-host routing question
On Thu, 1 May 2003, Mark Edwards wrote:

> I have the following router set up in exim 4.12 to route mail to
> various virtual hosts:
>
> virtual:
>    driver = redirect
>    allow_fail
>    allow_defer
>    domains = lsearch;/usr/local/etc/mail/local_domains
>    data =
> ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch*{/usr/local/etc/mail/virtual/$domain}}
>    file_transport = address_file
>    pipe_transport = address_pipe
>    no_more

> Works great. Is there a way to force exim to continue expanding
> strings in the "alias" files, even if the string matches a local user?
>
> For instance, say mark is a local user, and I have the following in an
> alias file:
>
> mark: mark,otheraddress@???
> bubba:    mark

> In this case, mails addressed to mark go to both the local user mark
> and the otheraddress@???, whereas mails to bubba only go to
> the local user mark. Is there a way to make it so that a alias that
> resolves to a local user will continue to expand if that string is also
> an alias in the file?

Normally, what you want should happen automatically, because new
addresses are processed from the start. However, because you have a
"domains" setting on your router, it will of course only pick up the new
address if it is in one of those domains. Since you have not set
qualify_preserve_domain on the router, the address "mark" will turn into
mark@??? where x.y.z is the value of your qualify_domain setting. So,
is that domain in your /usr/local/etc/mail/local_domains file?

You can check out what is happening by

exim -v -bt mark@???

and get more information with -d, as always. Maybe
qualify_preserve_domain is what you need?