[Exim] .forward file permission mysteriously changing

Author: Frank S. Bernhardt
To: Exim Users List
Subject: [Exim] .forward file permission mysteriously changing
This problem has been haunting be for several months now.

Four times now 2 users' .forward files permissions have changed from 600
to 620. The date shown on an ls -l has not changed since the file was
created. This obviously causes mail to not be delivered to the user. As
soon as I change the permissions back to 600, mail starts pouring in (I
run exim -qf for immediate results). The only thing I can see is in the
main log:

R=userforward defer (-1): bad mode (0100620) for /usr/name/.forward: 020
bit(2) unexpected

I'm running exim 4.10 along with spamassassin 2.43.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Could it be that the user somehow touched the file? The user's home
directory is mapped on their PC using samba. But wouldn't the file's
date have changed then?

It's not a major problem but it does look bad when it happens.

--

Regards

Frank S. Bernhardt
b.c.s.i.