Re: [Exim] Weird configuration of exim server....

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Eric Parusel
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] Weird configuration of exim server....
On Sat, 3 May 2003, Eric Parusel wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I'm new to exim and I decided I wanted to try to use it because
> I need quite a custom setup.
> I've heard that exim is quite configurable!

> What I need to know is how possible it is to achieve what I'd like.
>

> Here's some details (this is all for incoming connections):
>
> 1) Advertise TLS (shouldn't be a problem I don't think)

Yes, easy to do.

> 2) Require SMTP AUTH, no matter what.  Deny those that don't
>    use SMTP AUTH...

So you don't have any trusted hosts?

> 3) Authenticate SMTP AUTH through LDAP.

No problem, just use a ldap-lookup.

> 4) Deny all relaying, and accept mail only to each account if
>      SMTP AUTH'd for that account.  For example, server will
>      only accept mail enveloped to foo@??? if sender has
>      SMTP AUTH'd as foo@???.

In general no problem, but what about bounces?
In general, you could use an acl like this

require message = Your senderaddress must be the same as your username
        senders = : $authenticated_id

This should deny messages, not send either with an empty envelope from, or
when the evelope from does not match $authenticated_id (you can set this
when the user auhtenticates)

> 5) For each account that receives mail, "mirror/redirect" it to
>    a specified address (specified in LDAP for each account).

No problem, check the docs for the redirect-router carefully.

> NOTE: Since I will be mirroring/redirecting pretty much all
> incoming mail, would it be possible for each user to only exist
> in LDAP, at least in configuration anyways?

Yes, you can have them anywhere you want, as long as you can access the
"datastore" with exim.

> See why I called it weird in my subject? :)

No, looks like a normal exim project ;)
You'll need at exim4 to do some of the more extended things.

Nico