Re: [Exim] empty exinext?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Adam Henry
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] empty exinext?
On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 09:17:37AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2003, Adam Henry wrote:
>
> > Here is the output for exinext:
> >
> >    # exinext test@???
> >    No remote hosts found for test@???
> >    No retry data found for test@???

> exinext is just a script that runs exim_dumpdb and post-processes the
> output. The definitive data can be obtained by running exim_dumpdb.
>
> Alternatively, try
>
> exinext 10.10.10.10
>
> because (depending on the way you have set up the routers) there may be
> only the IP address in the retry data.

   No remote hosts found for 10.10.10.10
   Transport: 10.10.10.10 [10.10.10.10] error 101: Network is unreachable
     first failed: 01-May-2003 15:51:52
     last tried:   02-May-2003 07:47:59
     next try at:  02-May-2003 15:23:36

Beautiful, thanks Philip!

> > Second part to my question: How do I recreate my retry file, or at
> > least convince Exim that it should create one (I deleted it after
> > stopping Exim in an attempt to refresh the retry db).
>
> Exim will rebuild the db files if you delete them. They are only hints,
> not vital data.

The retry file I had deleted was fairly large, and this site does
handle a lot of mail. I would guess that this file would have been
recreated after two days, but that is not the case. While not vital,
doesn't it serve an important function? Additionally, 'exinext'
uses 'exim_dumpdb' to gather information about the retry times. It
would seem that it uses 'exim_dumpdb /var/spool/exim retry' in
some way to gather information. However, when I run this command I
get this result:

# exim_dumpdb /var/spool/exim retry
** Failed to open database lock file
/var/spool/exim/db/retry.lockfile: No such file or directory

However, as you see above, I can use 'exinext' just fine. So that
would suggest the retry file is only for "hints", and that there
is another location for a more authoritative listing of retry times.
When are the contents of this "master" database propagated into
the "hints" file?

thanks for your assistance,
hank