[Exim] How come exim is not loaded on the smtp port via xine…

Author: Wei Wang
To: Exim-users
Subject: [Exim] How come exim is not loaded on the smtp port via xinetd?
I have Mandrake 9 and am having problem loading exim 4.14 to listen on the
smtp port.
I compiled and installed exim 4.14 from source tarball.
It seems that the Mandrake default is to let Postfix's master listen on the
smtp port.
I killed that process and restared xinetd with the following xinetd.conf:
(hoping to load exim at the smtp port)

defaults
{
        instances               = 60
        log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
        log_on_success          = HOST PID
        log_on_failure          = HOST
        cps                     = 25 30
}
service smtp
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = mail
server = /usr/exim/bin/exim
server_args = -bs
}
includedir /etc/xinetd.d

But after I restarted xinetd with "service xinetd restart", the process
running on smtp becomes xinetd rather
than exim:

netstat -tlp |grep smtp
tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN
17996/xinetd

Also I thought the "*:smtp" part should read something like "localhost:smtp
*:*" instead.

Since I installed exim 4.14 from source tarball, someone told me that I have
to set the right permissions of
some components of exim, although I have no idea what permission I should
set.

Could anyone give me any hind of what went wrong here?

many thanks,

Wei