[Exim] exim -qff, unreachable MX hosts and retry behavior

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] exim -qff, unreachable MX hosts and retry behavior
Hi,

exim -qff starts a queue run that tries a delivery attempt for every
message on the queue, including frozen messages. I regularly use exim
-qff to make sure that each message on my queue has had a delivery
attempt recently before cleaning up. That command, run in a typescript
session, also is a good source to automatically remove stuck messages
from the queue

However, this takes a long time since it of course retries all 13 down
hotmail MX hosts before finding the 14th accepting the TCP session for
each hotmail recipient. Additionally, spammers have resorted to using
sender domains whose MX drop incoming connections, further slowing
delivery attempts.

Is there a combination of command line options that does the
following:

- do a delivery attempt for each message on the queue
- don't try any MX hosts that have proven to be unreachable during
this queue run.

Basically, I would like to have a dedicated retry database (starting
out with an empty databas) that is only written to or read from by my
queue runner process.

Or am I probably better off by trying exim -Rff for each domain that I
have messages waiting in the queue?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc