Re: [Exim] exim rejecting mails from sites that were ok.

Author: Sujit Choudhury
To: Kirill Miazine, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim rejecting mails from sites that were ok.
Date sent:     Thu, 10 Apr 2003 20:13:06 +0200
From:               Kirill Miazine <km-lists@???>
To:                 Sujit Choudhury <S.Choudhury@???>
Copies to:          exim-users@???
Send reply to:      exim-users@???

> Sujit Choudhury wrote:
> > here is the ACL again - some typo occurred during first time:
> >
> > check_recipient:
> >   accept  hosts = :
> >   accept  recipients = postmaster@??? : \
> >       postmaster@???
> >   deny    hosts = ! /mail/exim/files/net_reject_except : \
> >           ! * : *

> Get rid of the above one - it serves no useful purpose. Or please
> explain how it is supposed to work. The check below does what you need
> if I understand your logic correctly.
>
> >   deny    hosts = ! /mail/exim/files/net_reject_except : \
> >       +include_unknown:partial-lsearch;/mail/exim/files/host_reject : \
> >       /mail/exim/files/net_reject

> This part seems ok. Can you show some examples on what net_reject_except,
> host_reject and net_reject files contain?

host_reject: (an empty file)
# File: /mail/exim/files/host_reject
# Host: Garuda
#

# Note:
# See also "sender_reject" configuration option (to reject based on
# sender address)

# Example:-
#reject.mail.from.me

# End of file

net_reject (contains 2 adderesses):
# File: /mail/exim/files/net_reject
#
161.74.0.0/16
62.5.167.206/32

net_reject_except (all internal machines)
# File: /mail/exim/files/net_reject_except
#

# Central Unix MTAs
#cougar.wmin.ac.uk
161.74.160.93/32
#Garuda.wmin.ac.uk
161.74.160.7/32

# Student Email Novell Servers
#cdt-nw-imap1.wmin.ac.uk
161.74.160.101/32

# Linux machine at Harrow
# hrw-pc69.admin.wmin.ac.uk
161.74.96.141/32

# End of file

In the test exim -bh I am getting the following:
>>> host in host_lookup? yes (matched "0.0.0.0/0")
>>> looking up host name for 200.44.242.136
>>> IP address lookup failed: h_errno=1

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>> host in host_reject_connection? no (option unset)
>>> host in sender_unqualified_hosts? no (option unset)
>>> host in recipient_unqualified_hosts? no (option unset)
>>> host in helo_verify_hosts? no (option unset)
>>> host in helo_try_verify_hosts? no (option unset)
>>> host in helo_accept_junk_hosts? no (option unset)

LOG: SMTP connection from [200.44.242.136]
220 garuda.wmin.ac.uk ESMTP Exim 4.12 Fri, 11 Apr 2003 16:22:44 +0100

In all the "problem" e-mail we are finding this same theme. I had to

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Sujit

> > o.k ! *:* is very stupid. Any idea?
>
> Consider getting rid of it.
>
> P.S. I wish you good luck getting over to Exim 4. I wonder when people
> at our Uni get their arses in move and upgrade from Exim 2.12 - my Exim
> filter needs functionality not present in Exim 2.
>
> --
> Kirill Miazine, Stud. Jur.
> Faculty of Law, University of Oslo

Sujit Choudhury
University of Westminster
E-Mail: S.Choudhury@???
Tel No: 020 - 7911 5000 Ext 3851

-
only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error
you must not copy or show them to anyone, nor should you take any
action based on them, other than to notify the error by replying to
the sender.