Re: [Exim] max_batch and lmtp driver

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Phil Chambers
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] max_batch and lmtp driver
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Phil Chambers wrote:

> I recognise the difficulties with very large lists where the
> membership is not local and one may end up with large numbers of
> hotmail (etc.) addresses and fall foul of their spam detection. In
> this case, though, all the addresses would be local. Am I missing
> some other issue?

I expect Exim will handle 20000 recipients - others have used it in that
sort of way. Personally, I'm somewhat surprised that it doesn't fall
over because that's something I would never, ever contemplate doing.

Note that routing is serialized. It's going to route all 20000 addresses
before it does any deliveries to any of them. If they are local, this
may be quite quick, but it will still take time. If, instead, you submit
50 messages instead of 1, you will have 50 lots of routing going on in
parallel, which may be quicker. Likewise, local deliveries are
serialized (only remote ones can be parallelized). So it all comes down
to "is the performance acceptable to you"?