Re: [Exim] Using int vs. size_t in Exim

Author: Oliver Eikemeier
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Using int vs. size_t in Exim
This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.
--
Philip Hazel wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2003 michael@??? wrote:
>
>>Apart from the effort to change this and possibly historical reasons,
>>are there reasons why int is used? Any objections to start introducing
>>size_t? It could break code that deals with negative object sizes, e.g.
>>as a loop pre- or post-condition, so some care is needed.
>
> It's partly "historical", which is a euphemism for my ignorance /
> incompetence / laziness. But occasionally there are values where you
> need to use -1 for "unset", for example.

ssize_t (#include <sys/types.h> on FreeBSD) should be fairly portable by
now. Try 'man 5 types' on your favourite machine ('man 2 read' or 'mac 2
recv' if that fails).

Greetings
     Oliver
--

[ smime.p7s of type application/x-pkcs7-signature deleted ]