Re: [Exim] 'Unrouteable mail domain'/sporadic MX lookup fail…

Author: Adam Newby
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 'Unrouteable mail domain'/sporadic MX lookup failures
> > Unfortunately, given that this problem appears to occur intermittently,
> > the fact that Exim cannot be made to retry is a problem for us, as
> > messages keep bouncing back and have to be resent. We deliver information
> > to customers via email, and if Exim cannot be made to retry, we'll have to
> > try to put systems in place to pick up the bounces and re-send the
> > message. It would be easier for us if Exim could be reconfigured to get
> > the desired behaviour.
>
> So you want never to bounce messages? Even if you accidentally send one
> to wronglocalpart@??? ?? THAT is the problem...

We would rather have this happen, and have Exim (a piece of software) do
some unnecessary work, than have messages which cannot be delivered due to
intermittent DNS problems with the domain involved bounce immediately, and
have a human have to intervene manually to re-send the message.

NB: we're seeing quite a few intermittent 'unrouteable mail domain' errors
- is this normal, in your experience?

> > I'm going to experiment with modifying lookuphost.c to defer the message
> > if no MX or A records are found, and will let you know what transpires.
>
> As Nico says, you may be able to do this without modifying the code, by
> a cunning use of the dnsdb lookup and a redirect router. But again, it
> will also defer those messages that are actually incorrectly addressed,
> instead of bouncing them.

Thanks. I'm corresponding with Nico about this.

____________________________________
Adam Newby
IT Manager
NewsNow Publishing Limited