Re: [Exim] 'Unrouteable mail domain'/sporadic MX lookup fail…

Author: Adam Newby
To: Greg A. Woods
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 'Unrouteable mail domain'/sporadic MX lookup failures
> [ On Tuesday, April 8, 2003 at 10:40:46 (+0100), Adam Newby wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [Exim] 'Unrouteable mail domain'/sporadic MX lookup failures
> >
> > Unfortunately, given that this problem appears to occur intermittently,
> > the fact that Exim cannot be made to retry is a problem for us, as
> > messages keep bouncing back and have to be resent. We deliver information
> > to customers via email, and if Exim cannot be made to retry, we'll have to
> > try to put systems in place to pick up the bounces and re-send the
> > message. It would be easier for us if Exim could be reconfigured to get
> > the desired behaviour.
>
> Look, there are protocol rules about these sorts of things.
>
> Why don't you find the cause of the intermittent DNS failures and fix that?

We are attempting to establish if the intermittent DNS problems are
related to our local DNS server, or the DNS servers for the domains to
which we want to send email. If it is the latter, implementing your
suggestion would entail contacting everyone on the Internet who has a mail
server to ask them never to mess up their MX records, which doesn't seem
feasible to me.

Retrying on an MX lookup failure, as far as I know, would not break any
rules, and would only involve extra work on the part of our mail server
and not that of others.

Please understand that this is a balance between having to manually
intervene every time there is an error of this kind (taking up a human's
time) and having our mail server software retry automatically (taking up a
machine's time), and only bouncing affected messages once several attempts
have been made to deliver them.

____________________________________
Adam Newby
IT Manager