Re: [Exim] Exim V4 Config (in english)

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: Exim-Users@Exim. Org
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim V4 Config (in english)
man, 07.04.2003 kl. 14.44 skrev Paul Burton:

> Can someone answer this question(in plain English ) as all I'm
> getting back is really not relevant rantings from people whom
> obviously misunderstood my original mail, so here it is again and I
> hope someone understands me..

I more or less agree with you. Exim is not easy, not intuitive and is
above all an attitude of mind ("I want to, so by God I will.")
Antipathetic, smarty-pants answers don't help.

However, I also agree with what Tom Kistner says. If people tell you,
will you understand?

> I would like to know how to set-up out of office replies to senders

You have to find a doc in the source distro called doc/spec.txt. Then
you do: 'cat NewStuff filter.txt >> spec.txt' and load that in Mozilla
or whatever you have as a browser.

Then you search for "vacation". If you know how to use ucb's vacation
prog., that will work. It's on your RH 8.0 machine. Exim goes a step
further with user filters, but vacation will do everything you want for
the time being.

> and how can my users send out mail to many recipients in one batch ?

You make a group in /etc/aliases. "user: otheruser, yetanotheruser,
stillanotheruser" etc. Mind you, that's a simplistic answer. There are
many other ways - I use LDAP for groups, there are mailing list programs
such as Mailman, Majordomeo, Ezmlm etc.

The thing about Unix is, that you get given a huge set of tools to do
things with. Who was it who taught you to use a screwdriver? Hammer?
Saw? Or did you find out for yourself? 'man tool' is a good starting
point, in Unix.

Best,

Tony

--