Re: [Exim] Strewth!

Author: John (TJ) Penton
To: Konrad Michels
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Strewth!
On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Konrad Michels wrote:

> This one has taken me a little unexpectedly - was wondering though about
> the wisdom of raising the topic of Exim filters again here after the
> last poor bloke got flamed!
>
> Since he raised the issue of filters, I figured I'd play a little! So,
> setup a .forward file with a simple "unseen deliver . . ." in it after
> the standard "# Exim filter" line, doing this all as a local user etc
> etc . . .
>
> However, I get a very interesting little message in the exim log, to the
> effect of:
>
> 2003-04-07 14:58:12 192X8T-0001Ok-00 == email@???
> R=userforward defer (-1): bad mode (0100664) for /home/email/.forward:
> 020 bit(s) unexpected
>
> Am I having a blonde moment here? I've just re-read the filter spec for
> the umpteenth time and can't find a reference to anything particular
> being needed with regard to file modes for the .forward file!
>
> Doing an ls -al in the user dir gives:
> -rw-rw-r--    1 email email      324 Apr  7 14:57 .forward

> which I could have sworn was correct . . . .
>
> Am I missing something obvious here?

The permissions that are required (or rather required not) are defined in
the "modemask" setting of the redirect router that handles .forward files
- in your main exim config file. In order words, you want to be looking
in the main exim spec rather than the filter file spec.

HTH

John

--
"Don't open your mouth, dear, or the soap goes in," said Kanga.
"There! What did I tell you?"