Re: [Exim] Question about quotes in local part

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nils Weisensee
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Question about quotes in local part
On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Nils Weisensee wrote:

> Does exim have a problem with incoming mails with a from: field like
> this one?
>
> Nils O. Weisensee <nweisensee01@???>

No. This is a comment from the source code:

/* At the start of the string we expect either an addr-spec or a
phrase preceding a <route-addr>. If groups are allowed, we might also
find a phrase preceding a colon and an address. If we find an initial
word followed by a dot, strict interpretation of the RFC would cause
it to be taken as the start of an addr-spec. However, many mailers
break the rules and use addresses of the form "a.n.other <ano@somewhere>"
and so we allow this case. */

> I just ask, because: My e-mails are fetched by fetchmail and then passed
> to exim and then piped through the .forward file to a python script.
> Somehow, the from: field becomes corrupted, and looks like
> NilsO.Weisensee, without any correct address left.

Exim does not mess with header lines, unless you configure explicit
rewriting.