Re: [Exim] Installing with ${ROOT}

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Philip Hazel
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Andrew Walrond
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Installing with ${ROOT}
On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Andrew Walrond wrote:

> DESTDIR is now an almost universally implemented convenience for
> managers who want to build a package for eventual use at the configured
> path locations, but install into an unrelated temporary directory to be
> tarred, zipped, rpmed or however packaged for later installation on
> other systems. DESTDIR does not affect any compiled-in paths, but is
> merely prepended for installation purposes

Aha. I see the point now. Thanks.

> which would be unnecessary if ROOT was designed to be the equivalent of
> the usual DESTDIR variable.

Yes, I think you are right. (I didn't design ROOT; somebody (I forget
who) sent it to me at some point.) If DESTDIR is becoming widespread,
then perhaps I should change to using it instead, and avoid propagating
it into the default configuration file. I've made a note of this issue.

Philip