Re: [Exim] Installing with ${ROOT}

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Andrew Walrond
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Kopio: ph10
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Installing with ${ROOT}
Hi Philip

Thanks for the reply. You are of course correct in that I meant the
configuration file.

DESTDIR is now an almost universally implemented convenience for
managers who want to build a package for eventual use at the configured
path locations, but install into an unrelated temporary directory to be
tarred, zipped, rpmed or however packaged for later installation on
other systems. DESTDIR does not affect any compiled-in paths, but is
merely prepended for installation purposes

The usual method is simply

    ./configure --prefix=/usr ...
    make $JOBS
    make DESTDIR=$DDIR install

The equivalent for exim...

    cp src/EDITME Local/Makefile
    echo 'BIN_DIRECTORY=/usr/bin'             >> Local/Makefile
    echo 'CONFIGURE_FILE=/etc/exim/exim.conf' >> Local/Makefile
    echo 'EXIM_USER=exim'                     >> Local/Makefile
    echo 'EXIM_MONITOR='                      >> Local/Makefile
    echo 'AUTH_CRAM_MD5=yes'                  >> Local/Makefile
    echo 'AUTH_PLAINTEXT=yes'                 >> Local/Makefile
    echo 'USE_GDBM=yes'                       >> Local/Makefile
    echo 'INFO_DIRECTORY=/usr/share/info'     >> Local/Makefile
    echo 'DBMLIB=-lgdbm'                      >> Local/Makefile
    echo 'LOG_FILE_PATH=syslog'               >> Local/Makefile
    make
    make ROOT=$DDIR install

...with the exception of the config file, which I have to fix up with

sed --in-place -e "s/${DDIR//\//\\\/}//g" $DDIR/etc/exim/exim.conf

which would be unnecessary if ROOT was designed to be the equivalent of
the usual DESTDIR variable.

Not a great problem, but I thought I'd mention it incase it was
unintentional, or I was using ROOT for an unintended purpose which might
cause me other subtle problems with any compiled-in paths or whatever.

Regards,

Andrew Walrond