RE: [Exim] How to define destination for faulty addresses fo…

Author: Boyle Owen
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] How to define destination for faulty addresses for remote MTA?

OS: Solaris 8
Exim 3.36

Thanks for your reply. That put me on the right track and I subsequently
found http://www.exim.org/FAQ.html#SEC320 which told me to define (in
the router):

    errors_to = bounce-addr@???

That's great and it works, but it is server-wide, i.e. all mail via exim
gets the MAIL FROM: set to this address. However, I want this rule to
apply only to mails sent from a java class bulk-mailer (basically, a
program which sends out a newsletter to a list of subscribers). I define
the bounce-address in a "Sender:" header which I inject into the mail in
the program.

My solution, at the moment, is simply to do:

    errors_to = $header_sender

What seems to happen is that if the "Sender:" header exists, its value
is used in "errors_to" directive and the MAIL FROM and hence the
Return-path is re-written.

If there is no "Sender:" header, as is the case generally, then the MAIL
FROM and Return-path is set to the same as the "From:" header, as
normal.

Does this seem a reasonable solution or are am I missing something even
simpler (I was just a little surprised that I need to edit the
configuration of Exim to get this to work. I'd imagined that there was
simply a header I could set in the MUA...).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

views of the sender's company.