Re: [Exim] How to define destination for faulty addresses fo…

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How to define destination for faulty addresses for remote MTA?
Hi Boyle, on Wed, 2 Apr 2003 13:04:46 +0200 you wrote:

> I am sending a mail to a large list of recipients. Some of the addresses
> may have faulty usernames, although the domain is OK. My question is; is
> it possible to define an address in a header so that the receiving MTA
> will send the failure report to that address?

What you are looking for is a fundamental part of SMTP. You need to set
the SMTP *envelope From* (which is not necessarily the same as the message
body "From:" header). So, for example, if I have a conversation like this
where the remote MTA rejects the message, the bounce would go to
<bounce@???>:

HELO my.hostname
MAIL FROM: <bounce@???>
RCPT TO: <someone@???>
DATA
From: <me@???>

However, it's generally not trivial to set this from a sending MUA. If
whatever MUA you are using is on something *ix-ish and has an option to
pass the mails to a command line tool instead of sending them out via
SMTP, you may be able to set the envelope sender using, for example
"sendmail -f blah". However, this won't help if you're just using Outlook
or something.

If you're really talking about a signficant number of addresses, however,
you should perhaps consider looking into some kind of mailing list
management software which may make things easier for you in this and other
respects.

Tim