Re: [Exim] puzzle with exim 4.14...

Author: Alan Thew
To: Exim List
Subject: Re: [Exim] puzzle with exim 4.14...
Thanks,

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:04 , Philip Hazel <ph10@???> said:

> On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Alan Thew wrote:
>
> > I'm fully aware that the logging was added at this version but am puzzled
> > as to what might be causing the following log entry since it occurs every
> > day all on all machines running 4.14. There are no other log entries that
> > might be associated...
> >
> > no IP address found for host 209.237.12.112.29
>
> Possible scenario:
>
> You have sender verification enabled. A host sends you
>
> MAIL FROM:<xxx@???>
>
> In the DNS, Exim finds
>
> some.domain. MX n 209.237.12.112.29.
>
> It therefore tries to look up 209.237.12.112.29 as a host name, in order
> to find its IP address.
>
> But if that is true, there should be some reject logging at around the
> same time...

No rejectlog for today, the machine has a very light (experimental)
load... these log entries _appear_ to refer to local addresses. I have
spoken to our hostmaster and he is also puzzled...

One machine which has a higher load (about 95%) shows this log entry
quite frequently (no apparent corresponding rejectlog entries).

--
Alan Thew                                       alan.thew@???
Computing Services,University of Liverpool      Fax: +44 151 794-4442