Re: [Exim] HELO acl

Author: William Thompson
To: Tony Earnshaw
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] HELO acl
> > The patch adds acl_smtp_helo which you can do whatever you like in the acl.
> > I have posted the patch to the list.
>
> I didn't see any patch, I'm afraid.

I just sent it when I replied.

> > You
> > can't refuse on connect since you don't have helo at that point.
>
> Indeed. However, I'm not quite sure of the advantage of insisting on a
> correct helo/ehlo at the moment it's given. Granted it would be "neater"
> to give replies in sequence, but then you'd have to have a mail_from ACL
> in addition, to keep it logical. As it is, there are 2 relevant ACLs,
> rcpt and data (the others are irrelevant here.)

Given that spammers don't care about the RFCs when sending their junk, I
added this to just drop them at HELO. They usually don't retry (or they
will even if the spam was successful)

> Believe me it's not my intention to denigrate, goodness knows. But one
> could carry on producing refinements to Exim ad infinitum - as it is it
> does a very good job with a lightweight daemon and, as far as I'm
> concerned, does more and does that far better than any other MTA out
> there.

I agree with this. I started with smail (debian's default) until it broke.
Then went to zmailer. Ditched it in 2 days and went to exim 3.12. Now
using 4.14 with my helo patch.

If you don't see it on the list, I'll mail it to you.

If I made the mistake of not CCing the list (I sent to phil), I'll repost
it.