Re: [Exim] HELO acl

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: William Thompson
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] HELO acl
man, 2003-03-31 kl. 14:50 skrev William Thompson:

[CCed to the list]

> > I wasn't able to find any helo ACL patch, so don't know what it does.
>
> The patch adds acl_smtp_helo which you can do whatever you like in the acl.
> I have posted the patch to the list.

I didn't see any patch, I'm afraid.

> > What I do as standard at the moment, is:
> >
> > 1: Refuse an smtp connection if a valid helo/ehlo isn't given;
> > 2: Refuse the connection if I can't do a reverse lookup on the client.
> >
> > O.k., so I live in a dream world, that's as may be; my ISP who uses Exim
> > himself allows anything at helo/ehlo time. But what does the patch do
> > that my ACLs don't do?
>
> I would assume you refuse this at either mail or rcpt time, right?

Both at rcpt to: time :-)

> You
> can't refuse on connect since you don't have helo at that point.

Indeed. However, I'm not quite sure of the advantage of insisting on a
correct helo/ehlo at the moment it's given. Granted it would be "neater"
to give replies in sequence, but then you'd have to have a mail_from ACL
in addition, to keep it logical. As it is, there are 2 relevant ACLs,
rcpt and data (the others are irrelevant here.)

Believe me it's not my intention to denigrate, goodness knows. But one
could carry on producing refinements to Exim ad infinitum - as it is it
does a very good job with a lightweight daemon and, as far as I'm
concerned, does more and does that far better than any other MTA out
there.

Best,

Tony

--