RE: [Exim] sender callout failing

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
To: Jan-Peter Koopmann
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [Exim] sender callout failing
[ On Sunday, March 30, 2003 at 14:53:47 (+0200), Jan-Peter Koopmann wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [Exim] sender callout failing
>
> I am no SMTP expert but let me add this to the discussion: We turned on
> sender callout verification for a day because I thought it was a great idea.
> Later that day a friend called me and said he could not send me emails
> anymore. I investigated and found out that their Checkpoint firewall
> obviously is either brain-dead or misconfigured.

You allow your _friends_ to use Checkpoint firewalls? :-)

> When I tried to deliver an
> e-mail using a real "mail from:" address and her e-mail as "rcpt to:"
> everything worked. Doing the same with "mail from: <>" just resulted in a
> relaying denied right after the "rcpt to:".

Seriously, since this means your friend can't receive any e-mail bounces
either I'd suggest you tell him or her to do something about this
problem ASAP. I suspect it's a mis-configuration, but it's also
brain-dead! ;-)

> I know what you are going to say: Their mailer is not behaving RFC conform
> but unfortunately this sort of behaviour is quite commond.

Actually this specific sort of behaviour is not "quite common" at all.
It is so totally in violation of the fundamental requirements of SMTP
that it should not be tolerated at all except maybe in the most
extremely necessary situations (of which receiveing e-mail from
"friends" never counts!).

(Yes, there are some mailers that can be optionally configured to refuse
bounces, but guess just which group of people commonly do this to their
mailers.... :-)

--
                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods@???>;           <woods@???>