RE: [Exim] sender callout failing

Author: Jan-Peter Koopmann
Subject: RE: [Exim] sender callout failing
Hi Greg,

> A server that refuses to accept bounces will not ever accept
> return mail for any _sender_ address!

I am no SMTP expert but let me add this to the discussion: We turned on
sender callout verification for a day because I thought it was a great idea.
Later that day a friend called me and said he could not send me emails
anymore. I investigated and found out that their Checkpoint firewall
obviously is either brain-dead or misconfigured. When I tried to deliver an
e-mail using a real "mail from:" address and her e-mail as "rcpt to:"
everything worked. Doing the same with "mail from: <>" just resulted in a
relaying denied right after the "rcpt to:".

I know what you are going to say: Their mailer is not behaving RFC conform
but unfortunately this sort of behaviour is quite commond. Since I am not
able to tell exim what to use in "mail from:" I am not able to receive mails
from such domains.

Is there a config option I am missing?

Regards,
JP