Re: [Exim] Config library idea

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Giuliano Gavazzi
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Robert Vazan, exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Config library idea
At 18:32 +0000 2003/03/20, Robert Vazan wrote:
>I am a simple dialup - I have a POP3 account and SMTP smarthost. Well,
>OK, I have also procmailrc and cron jobs sending mails to root, but lets
>start with POP3 and SMTP. In order to setup my simple account, I am
>faced with infinite unstructured exim docs. No hope I could setup

you should get spec.txt, it is in the source distribution. It is a
very well structured document.

>something up in hours. Yes, there is the eximconfig tool that comes with
>Debian. However, this wizard style config tool generates long exim.conf,

wizards do not exist, whatever MicroSoft tell the world.

>where I don't understand a line. Now I don't have much to tell to exim.
>Just smarthost address. Maybe main account that receives root mail. I
>understand there is some need for generic tool and rich config options.
>However, it would be better if all exim parameters were stored in file
>that is part of distribution. I could then individually activate groups

all parameters are in spec.txt mentioned above and in the additional
NewStuff document (for the parameters/features introduced, I believe,
since the last edition of the specs).

>of parameters and set some variables to alter their behaviour. I don't
>believe my exim.conf must have more than five lines for complex (in my
>eyes) setup.
>
>I couldn't ever implement this myself. I am posting it as an idea in
>hope that somebody, who can, will like it and do the necessary work.

imho an smtp server is a serious business, it requires that you
understand it and use it properly and no tool can really help you in
that. Read, read and read...

Giuliano