Re: [Exim] RFC Query

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Mills Mr C P, 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [Exim] RFC Query
At 10:35 +0000 2003/03/19, Mills Mr C P wrote:
[...]
>My question is regarding the requirements for RFC compliance. If I
>use the 'w' option in the rewrite rule, it applies to all of the
>address, not just the bit in the angle brackets; do I need to
>explicitly put the angle brackets into the address I am rewriting to?
>i.e can I use the following:
>
>*@*.rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk    "$local_part@???"    w

>Or do I need to use:
>
>*@*.rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk    "<$local_part@???>"    w

exim's specs say that [with the 'w'] you must put the brackets, as
the right hand part must consist of a compliant address.

Just a question, are you only touching the envelope or also the
headers? Because if you are touching the headers too, you should
probably limit yourself at replacing the working part of the address.
I am not sure that modifying headers beyond what is a technical
requirement is at all acceptable, and your users might be not happy
to see their names sanitised...

Giuliano