Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting

Author: James P. Roberts
Subject: Re: [Exim] Reaction to rude 554 greeting
<snip>
> Now, you have been sent to buy some nails, and directed to a hardware
> shop at number 10 in the High Street (preferably) or to another
> hardware shop at another address. You go to the first shop and ask
> "got any nails?"; no, says the owner, this is a butcher. What do you
> do? Go back home or try the next one?
> You try the next one (that might tell you that they do not sell nails
> anymore at hardware shops, but that's a 550, or a 450 if they run out
> of stock).
> Then you go back home with the nails (or not) and tell whoever sent
> you that the first shop is a butcher (this is the warning message to
> postmaster that I suggested).
>
> (dad always told me not to talk to engineers...)
>
> Giuliano

"Not I," said the cheap engineer. "I immediately call the person that gave me
the list and ask them to please double check it before I waste anymore of my
gas (bandwidth) and my time (CPU cycles) chasing down places that are
apparently not hardware stores."

Especially since the odds are highest that the next place on the list is not a
hardware store either.

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.