[Exim] Exim and firewall problem

Author: Jim Trigg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim and firewall problem
I can't seem to come up with a productive Google query, so I'm asking
here. I have a mail server behind a firewall. The firewall receives
external requests for two IP addresses; one is used as NAT for the
intranet and the other is the mail server. The firewall is configured
to pass all requests for SERVER_IP port 25 to the server, but the server
cannot access its own public IP address. I have configured the server's
/etc/hosts file to resolve its public hostname to its intranet IP
address, but exim is ignoring that. (Other software, such as ping, is
not.) How do I convince exim to use the internal IP address when
sending mail to its own domain?

This is a FreeBSD 4.7 system; /etc/host.conf specifies hosts before
bind.

(Substituting a fake external IP address and example.net for the domain,
exim running on mail.example.net is insisting on trying to contact
10.0.0.5, the IP address shown in DNS, rather than 192.168.1.2, the IP
address shown in /etc/hosts.)

Thanks,
Jim
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
                                                  \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN