Re: [Exim] question about spool files

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Jetmore
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] question about spool files
On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, John Jetmore wrote:

> how compatible are the spool files between 3.36 and 4.14? If I copy to
> the newer spool, will I lose anything? (I realize I may not be able to go
> the other way).

The intention was that you should be able to run 4.x with old 3.x files
on your spool. I don't think I've broken this - certainly I haven't
heard of anybody having problems.

> Is all the necessary state information (regarding who has been delivered
> vs who hasn't, not retry info) stored in the spool files? I know smail
> used to use its msglog files as a holder of state information. I want to
> confirm my belief that exim does _not_ act that way.

Your belief is correct. It's all in the -H file (except during a
delivery, when some is temporarily in the -J file). Note that there is
now an option that lets you run without msglog files (for that little
bit of extra efficiency).