RE: [Exim] startup trouble

Author: Jan-Peter Koopmann
To: exim-users
New-Topics: RE: [Exim] sender callout failing, RE: [Exim] sender callout failing
Subject: RE: [Exim] startup trouble
Hi,

> I have successfully installed exim but now I am trying to start it up.

Well that means you have not successfully installed it but rather
successfully compiled it... :-) Sorry could not resist.

> It keeps coplaining about the logfile that it cannot open yet I have
> given it the correct permissions.

> 30462 Cannot open main log file "/var/log/exim_mainlog": Permission
> denied:uid=502 egid=100
> 30462 2003-03-13 13:21:32 Cannot open main log file
> "/var/log/exim_mainlog":
> Permission denied: euid=502 egid=100

Ok. So it cannot access/create /var/log/exim_mainlog.

> if I do "su "mailman" -c 'touch /var/log/exim/hallo'"
> The file hallo is created so my permissions sre correct

You are testing /var/log/exim/... The difference is that one file is created
in /var/log the other in /var/log/exim. Check your permissions and more
likely the log_file_path option. You probably want something like

log_file_path = /var/log/exim/%slog

Which will create the files mainlog, rejectlog and paniclog in /var/log

Regards,
JP