Re: [Exim] Filter on to and cc with same variable?

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Jeff Wishnie
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Filter on to and cc with same variable?
On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 19:42, Jeff Wishnie wrote:
> For example, if I am filtering mail from a specific list (e.g.
> exim-users) to a mailbox, I use a filter like:
>
> if   $h_to: contains "exim-users" or
>      $h_cc: contains "exim-users"
>      then save .Lists.Exim/

> I do this _a lot_ and am looking for a shortend so that I don't have
> to duplicate each test. Something like:
>
> if $to_or_cc contains "exim-users"
>     then save .Lists.Exim/

> Does this shorthand exist?

It does, and you've been given it by others. But alternatively, consider
using filters such as:

if "$sender_address" is "exim-users-admin@???" then
        save Maildir/.lists.exim/
        finish
endif

That way, you don't get false positives when you're Cc'd as well as the
list, and you don't get false negatives when the list is Bcc'd.

If you're on vacation, and you've either filtered the list to /dev/null
temporarily or you're just going to delete hundreds of messages unread
upon your return -- and someone either sends a mail to you and the list,
or sees a mail on the list which they _know_ you'll want to see and
resends it to you -- where do you want that mail to end up? :)

In general, filtering on To: or Cc: headers is best avoided if at all
possible. It's not wonderfully reliable -- the headers don't have to
bear _any_ relation to the actual reason for the mail ending up being
delivered to you.

--
dwmw2