Re: [Exim] bouncing viruses

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
Subject: Re: [Exim] bouncing viruses
At 09:08 AM 2/17/2003 -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

>In some cases, yes. Don't accept any connections from clients listed as
>"dial-up" or "dyanmic" in the various public DNS blacklists. That'll
>stop a sizable number of viruses and worms.

That's a "given". However, several virii don't go direct to MX - they
either go through their provider's servers or scan for open relays and
proxies and use those. Yes, we use dnsbls to block open relays and proxies
(http://spamblock.outblaze.com/massmail.html)

>If you've acceptd a message containing a virus or worm then the best
>possible thing you can do is disable it (or delete it from the body) and
>then continue to deliver the message to the intended destination. You
>should not try to bounce it, as has already been clearly stated.

Which is what I suggested.

>Personally though I'd recommend just getting rid of all software that's
>known to be vulnerable to such junk and then you can just deliver all
>the e-mail without even having to scan it first. Friends don't allow
>their good friends to run M$ software. There are lots of better

Yeah, I can sure see how easy it is to enforce this.

         srs