Re: [Exim] TLS on a port other than 25

Author: Mark Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] TLS on a port other than 25
on 2/15/03 11:50 AM, Philip Hazel at ph10@??? wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Mark Edwards wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I wasn't clear in my first post.
>
> Could have been my misunderstanding. I have been away for 3 days and was
> trying to get through the backlog on the list as fast as I coulde.
>
>> Not only can I telnet to port 26,
>> I can connect and send mail via port 26, just not using TLS. Non-encrypted
>> connections work fine on both port 26 and port 25. Encrypted connections
>> work on port 25 but not on port 26.
>
> When you say "encrypted", to you mean you connect to 26, but then
> STARTTLS fails? If so, I am gobsmacked. The code in Exim is identical,
> needless to say.
>
> I suspect the clients are behaving differently....

Well, what happens is I can connect either with STARTTLS or not to port 25,
and everything is logged normally. I can connect normally to port 26 and it
is logged, but if I try to use STARTTLS on any port other than 25, the
connection times out and nothing ever gets logged.

My conclusion is that a STARTTLS connection on a port other than 25 (I've
also tried 587) isn't even making it to Exim. The real question is where is
it failing? Is it failing at the client (doubtful, because I don't think
the client would time-out, and I've tried on two different clients on two
different OS's) or is the connection being intercepted somewhere before it
gets to Exim?

Has anyone seen a STARTTLS connection on a port other than 25 actually work?